The Tax Institute at H&R Block employs experienced tax researchers to support H&R Block's seasonal field operations.
Seasonal Tax ResearcherThis seasonal role researches, analyzes, evaluates, and answers income tax questions from tax professionals and tax clients via online communication tools. Researchers are based in Kansas City, San Diego and Orange County. Remote positions are also available for candidates not located in Kansas City or Southern California. Researchers participate in a two-week training session, followed by a 3-month role, from January to April.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Evaluate individual, corporate, partnership, international, estate, and trust tax questions to ascertain the exact nature of the issue; research applicable tax law and regulations; make recommendations providing the correct tax treatment for the client.
- Research moderately complex tax situations and determine solutions using available research materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in business-related field or commensurate tax experience. Graduate degree in accounting, tax, or law, or progress toward completion of such degree, is desirable. A Circular 230 designation (attorney, CPA, or EA) is also highly desirable.
- A minimum of one year of tax research, tax preparation or related experience.
- Knowledge of tax law sufficient to understand and explain most elements of personal taxation as they apply to H&R Block’s clients.
- Knowledge of tax research principles, procedures, and techniques to effectively interpret, analyze, and correctly formulate solutions for moderately complex tax situations.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and explain most elements of individual income taxation through strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform assignments in a thorough and accurate manner.
- Ability to treat confidential information with professionalism and discretion.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work group.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines, familiarity with technological research and communication tools, ability to type 50 wpm.
- For remote workers, we are looking primarily for Circular 230 or JD/LLM professionals who can work full-time or more during tax season.
The Benefit To You
ExperienceWhether you just graduated from law school, you’re working toward an advanced degree, or you’re a seasoned tax professional or attorney looking for more, joining The Tax Institute as a seasonal researcher will allow you to grow your career.
You’ll do in-depth research on the tax code. You’ll interpret and explain the law to tax professionals and clients. And you’ll gain valuable practical experience responding to real-life practice questions from across H&R Block’s nationwide network of tax professionals and clients.
PayWe pay competitive hourly rates, including a two-week training session that starts in December or January. Seasonal researchers do not qualify for health or retirement benefits.
ConvenienceWe employ researchers based in Kansas City, San Diego, Orange County or remotely. We provide the equipment and research resources needed to do the job.
Recruiting season starts in the fall
While we aren’t actively recruiting right now, we are always on the lookout for tax talent to support our mission. If you have the qualifications and interest in the role described above, please send your resume to Careers@thetaxinstitute.com. We will review your resume and keep it on file. We may contact you when we begin seasonal recruitment in the fall before the coming tax season. Thank you for your interest in The Tax Institute.